CMSL follows the Softball Canada Rulebook excluding the co-ed rules and with the following additions;
The City of Calgary will be regulating this rule through their grounds keepers, the City will notify Softball Calgary of any infractions and Softball Calgary will then suspend the affected team(s).
If a male batter, followed immediately by a female batter, is walked in four (4) or less pitches without a strike being thrown, he is awarded second, the following female must bat. This includes intentional walks. If the batter's first pitch is a strike and the pitcher chooses to intentionally walk that batter, then the batter is awarded first base only.
The EP must remain in the same position in the batting order for the entire game. The EP may be substituted at any time by either a pinch-hitter or a pinch runner who then becomes the EP. The substituted player must be a player who has not yet been in the game. The substituted player can be male or female as long as the four (4) female, six (6) male ratios are maintained on the field. The starting EP(s) can re-enter providing they maintain the same batting position whenever they are in the line-up.
If an EP is used, all eleven(or twelve) must bat and any ten can play defense, as long as the 6 and 4 ratio must be maintained. Defensive positions can be changed but the batting order must remain the same.
with the tenth (10th) batter as an automatic out. Minimum women - three (3), maximum women - six (6); minimum men - four (4), maximum men - six (6). If starting with 9 players, the tenth (10th) player will be inserted into the game at the top of an inning.
16. TIME LIMIT:
- May 1st to July 31st: Game 1 will start at 6:15pm. No new inning will be started after 7:30pm.(regardless of start time) Game 2 will start at 7:40pm. No new inning will be started after 8:55pm.(regardless of start time)
- August 1st to end of regular season: Game 1 will start at 6:15pm. No new inning will be started after 7:20pm.(regardless of start time) Game 2 will start at 7:35pm. No new inning will be started after 8:40pm.(regardless of start time)
A ten (10) minute grace period is allowed at the start of each game. Teams are required to start at game time if they have the minimum required nine (9) players.
21. HOMERUNS EXCEEDED: Each team is allowed four (4) homeruns per game. When both teams reach the 4 homerun limit, the Plus 1 rule applies. Any homeruns outside of the limit of the 4 Plus 1 rule are deemed an out.
22. Shouldice Rule: For all games played at Shouldice Athletic Park(Diamonds 3, 4, 5 and 6) a homerun over the limit will be a strike. Please note that with 2 strikes a homerun over the limit is an out.
23. WALK-OFF HOMERUN RULE: In the course of play when a ball is hit over the fence and deemed by the umpires as a homerun; the batter and any players occupying a base are required to walk off the field instead of rounding the bases. The batter does not need to proceed to first base or make contact with that base
24. SUSPENSION/EJECTION RULE: When a player is ejected from a game and written up by the umpire, that player will:
Association to deem appropriate suspension.
25. COMPOSITE BATS: For all CMSL games which includes ALL CMSL tournaments, league and playoff games; CMSL adheres to the Approved and Non-Approved lists on the Amateur Softball Association of America (ASA) website (asasoftball.com); as well as the United States Specialty Sports Association, (USSSA) website (usssa.com). If a team is caught using an illegal bat, that team will forfeit that game. The JAK’D bat is considered an approved bat if it has the USSSA thumbprint. JAK’D bats without the USSSA thumbprint will not be allowed for use in CMSL.
26. ROSTERS: The maximum amount of players on a roster is 25. For a player to be eligible for play in the postseason, a player must have played 2 regular season CMSL games in that same year. All players must be rostered with the CMSL by June 15th.
27. PITCHING DISTANCE: For safety concerns, a pitcher can move up to 10 ft. directly back from the pitcher's rubber for pitching. If a pitcher begins to pitch within the designated 10 ft allowance, he or she does not have to continue pitching at that distance for the remainder at bat. Height of arc will still be in effect.
28. UMPIRE NO SHOWS: In the event of an umpire no-show, teams must umpire their own games. If your umpire is missing, please advise your Division Rep.
29. PINCH RUNNERS: The batter must hit and safely make it to first base before a same gender runner (the player must be on the roster but necessarily on the lineup card) can be used. A maximum of six (6) runners per team, per game allowed.
30. ANTICIPATION / LEAD OFF: Runners are allowed one step off the bag without the batter contacting the ball. 2 or more steps off the bag without the batter making contact will cause the runner to be called out.
31. DIAMOND 11 - Optimist Park: ANY hit ball clearing the short fence in right field (backing on to Diamond 7) will be deemed a ground rule double.
32. RAINOUTS - Will be determined first by the City prior to 4:30pm and then will be the call of the Senior Umpire(See Rule 17). Whenever possible the League will try and schedule rainouts after Regular Season play before playoffs.
33. 11 inch ball - Female batters will have the option of hitting the 11” ball. The Home Team will be responsible for providing 1 useable 11” ball per game
34. Bunting - Bunting by a male or female batter is not allowed. Bunting will result in an out with runners returning to their bases.
35. Ladies Pregnancy Rule: If it is evident and/or confirmed to an official that a player is pregnant, then for reasons of safety and for the possible detrimental effect that such participation may have on other players' performance, the league will not knowingly allow a pregnant player to play.
Penalty - The player will be requested to remove herself from the game, if she refuses, she will be ejected from the game.
36. Pitching Mask - As of 2022, all pitchers must wear either a pitching mask or helmet.